by John Theil
Posted on December 19th, 2010 in Australia | 139 Comments »
Since 1997 the Crown Casino and Entertainment Complex has been a major landmark on Melbourne’s Southbank. The complex lies just over the Yarra River from the city’s Central Business District (or CBD), which also contains many of the town’s historic and cultural sights. The Crown Complex has three hotels: the Crown Towers and the Crown Metropol (both five stars), and the 4.5 star Crown Promenade. This short Crown Towers Melbourne accommodation article reviews the facilities laid on for guests at the first named hotel, and also surveys some of Melbourne’s other attractions.
Melbourne, in the Australian state of Victoria, is the second largest city in Australia. With a population of four millions, about 25% of whom were born overseas, Melbourne is a lively and multi-cultural city, renowned for arts and music festivals, for a varied and exciting food culture, for great shopping, and for exciting and passionate sporting events.
The city is situated around the edge of the (approximately) circular Port Philip Bay (or just The Bay). The Yarra River flows into Port Philip, and in 1835 the colonial settlement of Bearbrass was founded here. In a few years Bearbrass changed its name to Melbourne, which was probably a good thing, and the Victorian Gold Rush (in the 1850s) helped Melbourne become a major city.
Just north of the Yarra river is the Central Business District (or CBD). Until the 1990s this faced across to a run down, industrial zone, called Southbank. Since then Southbank has undergone successful urban renewal, and is now an attractive and lively area, with cafes, restaurants and shopping, and also the very large Crown Casino and Entertainment Complex.
The Crown Complex in Southbank was opened in 1997, and was a major factor in the areas regeneration. Crown Promenade (part of the larger Southbank Promenade) faces onto the Yarra River. Across the river can be seen the city centre of Melbourne. The largest business operating in the complex is the Crown Casino, which is the largest casino south of the equator. (350 gaming tables, 2500 poker machines)
There are also many exciting nightlife options in the Crown complex, with many restaurants and cafes with varied cuisine, nightclubs and bars, and the Village Cinema complex. Luxury shopping is also a feature of the Crown centre with top stores such as Prada, Burberry, Louis Vuitton and Versace all operating here.
The complex contains three hotel towers. The five star Crown Towers is one of these, and has 482 luxury rooms and suites, over 43 floors. From the Crown Towers, rooms have extensive views over the rest of the city, over the Yarra River, and over Port Philip Bay. Crown Towers rooms are decorated with original artworks, and equipped with large screen plasma TVs, with connectivity for laptops and other devices (iPod etc).
The are very many restaurants both in Crown Towers itself, and in other parts of the Crown Complex. Diners can therefore choose from many types of international cuisine, from classic French, to Asian, to American steakhouse, as well as modern Australian cuisine.
Having spent his entire lifetime in the inner Melbourne suburbs John Theil has matured with almost everything which is iconically Melbourne. He is a well liked writer on many online forums and operates from his Melbourne Accommodation arranging content for a collection of publishers.
- May 26, 2011 -- Surfers International Apartments – The Spot to Arrange Your Holiday Break Accommodation (3)
- December 4, 2010 -- Best Gold Coast Hinterland Accommodation Deals Available (135)
- April 20, 2011 -- Get Hot Deals Gold Coast Accommodation For Pure Relaxation And Bliss (33)
- April 2, 2011 -- Enjoying A Gold Coast Theme Parks 3 Day Pass To Enjoy Your Vacation (25)
- March 21, 2011 -- Staying On The Gold Coast Caravan Parks Give Ideal Accommodation (24)
- March 16, 2011 -- Hunt Down Discounted Gold Coast Accommodation Deals (4)
- February 17, 2011 -- Beachcomber Resort Surfers Paradise May Be Ideal For Vacation On Gold Coast (105)
- April 4, 2011 -- Various Types Of Top Sydney CBD Accommodation On Offer (40)
- March 31, 2011 -- Accommodation In Perth: Budget For Luxury (42)
- February 13, 2011 -- Whether For Business Or Vacation Check Into Sydney Australia Hotels Before You Go (33)